Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Hearts of Generosity

My children came in from playing outside Saturday with a rather large handful of 'Easter flowers'.  They asked if they could take them to church the next day and sell them to raise money for Sharlyn, their cousins' grandma who was recently diagnosed with stage 4 cancer.  As Daniel and I conversed the next morning about this proposition, the family concluded to take our extra 6 dozen fresh farm eggs to church instead to sell.
We arrive at church and it is busy as usual.  We make a few announcements so people will know why our children will be standing at a table in the main foyer after services with egg cartons.  As church is wrapping up, my husband leaves to go get our children and the table and eggs.  I leave just right ahead of everyone to go assist.
I cannot begin to explain how my heart swelled with joy as I turned the corner to the foyer and saw the four people I love most in this life standing behind the table with hearts as big as gold, hoping to do anything they possibly could for a dying soul.
They get it, at least for now.  In this moment, they understand how precious life is and how important it is in God's kingdom to do for the least of these.  And my heart cries with sorrow because I know what life will bring.  I know the years of trials and tribulations will dull these soft, giving hearts.  But I also know that the God who sees all and knows all can mold our hearts daily back to the way we were when our bodies were little, but our hearts were big.

No comments:

Post a Comment